eFaucets-Brand-468x60

Orange Chicken

IMG_2373


You've probably had this from Chowking. I had. I tried it because this is their newest dish back when we were home. I have always enjoyed orange chicken. I thought this might be good since I think all Chowking dishes are good. ;)  I was rather disappointed to see a very small portion served before me. It didn't help that the chicken pieces were tough. I was used to having them crunchy outside but juicy inside. I can't even recall how it tastes.



So here's an ambitious attempt to mimic the said dish. This time, with tender chicken meat.

Ingredients:

2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
1 ½ cups all purpose flour
1 beaten egg
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
panko breadcrumbs (optional,dish in above photo has no panko )
oil (for frying)
orange carpels (pith removed)

Orange Sauce-
1 ½ cups water
2 tablespoons orange juice
¼ cup lemon juice
1/3 cup rice vinegar
2 ½ tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon grated orange zest
1 cup packed brown sugar
½ teaspoon minced ginger root
½ teaspoon garlic (minced)
2 tablespoons chopped green onion (optional)
¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
3 tablespoons cornstarch
2 tablespoons water

Coat chicken pieces with flour, dip in egg then coat with panko. If you're not using panko then dip the chicken pieces first on egg and coat with flour.


Deep fry the chicken pieces until golden brown. Drain the oil well, or set aside on paper towels as you prepare the sauce.



In a large saucepan combine 1 ½ cups water, lemon juice, orange juice, rice vinegar, and soy sauce. Blend well over medium heat for a few minutes. Stir in brown sugar, orange zest, ginger garlic, and onion. Bring to a boil.

Combine 3 tablespoons of cornstarch with 1/4 cup of water and mix thoroughly. Slowly stir cornstarch mixture into sauce until it thickens. Pour sauce over breaded chicken and add red pepper flakes. This enhances the flavor. Garnish also with green onions and orange carpels if you like. The orange carpels might be a little difficult so use the canned ones.


Happy cooking and eating!


---


Join us!



lani  – (November 18, 2010 at 8:10 AM)  

Yes I tried that but not in Chowking! I made it :) Happy Weekend!

maiylah  – (November 18, 2010 at 8:29 AM)  

tried the chowking version and i loved it the first time (refreshing)...the second time wasn't as good. no idea why. lol

ps. the truffles i posted was from hubby, G. hehe, no idea where he got them..i think the brand was Falize. :)

Luna Miranda  – (November 18, 2010 at 9:02 AM)  

i always buy Orange Chicken from Chowking because Fritz loves it!:p sorry but i'm not a Chowking fan, di naman masarap. namiss mo lang siguro.:p

gmirage1 –   – (November 18, 2010 at 9:10 AM)  

soysal naman ni Fritz Luna...I think I wrote this wrong, thinking over, yung braised beef nila ang madalas kong gusto plus kangkong and bagoong!

maiy, sana makahanap ako ng brand na yan.

Guiltless Grub  – (November 18, 2010 at 10:55 AM)  

I've also loved orange chicken and there's one Chinese resto here in the neighborhood that makes a good one. I've not tried the one from Chowking yet, never been able to visit them in a long time now. Oh, congrats for the feature G, great photo...

blankPixels of Certified Foodies  – (November 18, 2010 at 11:31 AM)  

Ooohh.. I've tried Chowking's Orange Chicken din. I was disappointed with the servings din, but I really loved the sauce. This post reminded me that I want to try making them at home. I'll definitely try your recipe. Woot! Thanks for sharing! :)

FoodTripFriday  – (November 18, 2010 at 1:33 PM)  

I always like Chowking's food but lately, I heard many not -so-good things either about their serving portion or the place. :(

Mumsified  – (November 18, 2010 at 3:17 PM)  

I've never had that in Chowking. I guess I will never try it out then =)

Copied your recipe already. I will make one this weekend. Thank you.

imriz  – (November 18, 2010 at 3:48 PM)  

oh, my kids loves to order that @chowking...now no more, as i copy/paste ur version. i'll try it out this weekend. tnx for sharing.

my entry http://iamclarizze.wordpress.com/2010/11/18/food-trip-friday/

vernz  – (November 18, 2010 at 5:30 PM)  

Its good.. tried one already.... dropping by for FTF

Spice Up Your Life  – (November 18, 2010 at 6:31 PM)  

Thanks for sharing the recipe sis, I have never tried or had chicken with orange yet.


Spice Up Your Life

MommyLES  – (November 19, 2010 at 2:19 AM)  

wow orange chicken this is yummy, chowking c:

Noobfoodie

Madz  – (November 19, 2010 at 3:52 AM)  

The Chowking version tastes like Cough Syrup. :) Tapos isang piraso lang yung orange, unlike your version, generous orange slices!

Oggi  – (November 19, 2010 at 7:46 AM)  

Looks yummy and easy to make. I'll try it.:)

Mel Cole –   – (November 19, 2010 at 5:14 PM)  

I love orange chicken. You used manadarin oranges in these. Very appetizing.


My Food Trip Friday post

Jay-agent112778  – (November 19, 2010 at 10:46 PM)  

ummmmmmm, thats yummy! mas masarap talaga pag lutong bahay na resto(mimic) dish

here's my food TRIP friday entry
here's my FOOD FRIDAY entry

Cheerful  – (November 20, 2010 at 8:44 PM)  

wow, this a recipe to try, my kids will surely love this...looks really yummy! happy weekend! :)

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Mirage Blogs

Visitors