Next time I'll certainly use chopped almonds...whole ones turned out hard to bite. :D Serving above is for the little boy...I don't think my tummy would be satisfied with a little portion but I'm trying to cut down on rice....haaays. (FitYummyMummy is a must!)
Feel free to make adjustments...I'm not much into measuring exactly but this is the recipe I followed...it really calls for blanched almonds but I only had whole ones.
* 3 tablespoons soy sauce
* 3/4 teaspoon salt
* 1 teaspoon cornstarch
* 2 teaspoons sherry
* 3 pounds chicken, skin removed, meat removed from bones and cut into bite sized pieces
* 1 1/2 cups peanut oil for frying
* 1 cup blanched almonds
* 1/3 cup sliced mushrooms
* 1/2 cup diagonally sliced bamboo shoots
* 1/2 cup diagonally sliced celery
* 1/4 cup thinly sliced onion
* 10 whole water chestnuts, thinly sliced
* 1/4 cup peanut oil
* 1/3 cup chicken stock
1. Mix the soy sauce, salt, cornstarch, and sherry in a large bowl. Stir in chicken; cover and refrigerate.
2. Heat 1 1/2 cups of the peanut oil in a large, deep skillet. Fry almonds in the oil until golden, about 1 minute. Drain fried almonds on a paper towel.
3. Drain all but 3 tablespoons of oil from the skillet. Stir in the mushrooms, bamboo shoots, celery, onion, and water chestnuts. Cook and stir vegetables for 1 minute. Remove from skillet.
4. Heat 1/4 cup oil in the skillet. Cook and stir the marinated chicken in hot oil until no longer pink in the center, and the juices run clear, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in cooked vegetables, chicken stock, and reserved soy sauce mixture; simmer until thickened, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in fried almonds before serving.