eFaucets-Brand-468x60

Lasang Pinoy Sundays - Wraps around the World

Though not all are to be seen here, I have compiled a few cuisines of anything wrapped.



Crepes, France; Palatschinken, Austria; Pfannkuchen, Germany

This treat has a different name depending on the region where it is eaten and on what is used as a filling. Above is Quark (curd cheese) wrapped in pancakes and served with vanilla sauce. Nutella-filled is also an all time kids' favorite! (But I just had to say I prefer our Pinas crepes...)
----

Ground beef filled Canneloni, Italy

Technically, this dish is filled than wrapped. :D I cooked the canneloni tubes for four minutes on boiling water, they were not so easy to fill up as I have thought, some ripped a little in the process.

For the filling, use ground beef, garlic, onions combined with bechamel sauce, that of parmesan cheese, butter and milk (ricotta and spinach are a popular combination too). On baking dish, put some bechamel sauce and place the tubes, top again with sauce and sprinkle with parmesan cheese. Bake for 20 minutes at 190°C.
---

Temaki or hand rolls, Japan -

One of the easiest way to serve sushi rice, take half of a nori mat, place a spoonful of sushi rice then top with your favorite fish or veggies. Roll the nori into a cone and eat immediately so the nori would stay crisp (it tends to absorb the moisture of rice).
I only had spam and surimi and fried bangus flakes, I like this with shrimps and avocado.

---


Dürüm Kebap, Turkey; Gyros, Greece; Shawarma, Arab



A foodie friend of mine once talked about her fondness for Dürüm Kebaps, I do not share the same thought but I had one for today's theme.



Dürüm (wrapper used) is like wheatflour tortilla (used for burritos). Slices of meat that are cooked via a turning roast (döner) are placed with lettuce, tomato, onions and yogurt sauce that has garlic, pepper, dill and olive oil and called Tzatziki in Greece. Also Gyros are placed on a pita bread like the usual Döner kebap of Turkey.


Shawarma, if I remember, usually has garlic sauce on it. (Please correct me if I'm wrong).

---

Tortillas etc, Mexico

Thin, unleavened, flat bread made from cornflour, best with lettuce, flavored ground beef, salsa and cheese. Fajitas, Taquitos, Gorditas, Chilaquiles, Enchilada, Quesadilla and Tacos are some of the dishes that uses tortilla cornflour.

Burritos, Chimichanga, and Pitas on the other hand uses wheatflour. Roti (India and neighbouring lands), Blintz (Russia and lands upnorth), Baleadas (Honduras) are other variety of thin breads based on wheatflour

---





Chun juan, China; Runbing, Taiwan; Cha gio, Vietnam; Lumpia, Philippines
Simply---Spring Rolls



Though the name spring has nothing to do with the dish, this finger food is popular not only in Asia but around the world too. There are vegetable and meat, uncooked and deep fried varieties. Other versions in different asian regions as well as Europe are enjoyed.

My favorite would be lumpiang sariwa topped with the peanut sauce my mom makes perfectly.





---



Lasang Pinoy Sundays is a weekly GALLERY of the FILIPINO TASTE focusing on Food Photography.

Anonymous –   – (February 21, 2009 at 8:50 AM)  

Wow, bongga naman si Lola - around the world ang drama - hahaha! :lol:

Of all the wraps you featured, I love the Japanese ones the best! They're not too filling yet very satisfying (and addicting too!). And I have been always a fan of how they manage to present their food so artistically - full-sensory experience talaga.

Munchkin Mommy  – (February 21, 2009 at 9:05 AM)  

Sa-wrap wrap overload! Hee hee! Like Pinky, the Japanese wraps are my favorite. I love our lumpias, too...fresh, shanghai, fried (the ones that are dipped in vinegar with garlic!). hay. :D

Anonymous –   – (February 21, 2009 at 9:45 AM)  

nabusog ako dito ah! kumpleto! alam mo ba if only i had plantains, turon nalang sana p-nost ko...then i would've posted earlier heeh!:)parang turon nalang kc kulang sa post mo:) happy weekend, G!

Anonymous –   – (February 21, 2009 at 4:24 PM)  

Ang sasawrap ng mga entries mo! Grabe na ito, am so hungry na, haven't had breakfast yet, hehehe, inuna ang LaPiS blog hopping :D

The spring roll in not for me though, too oily :) But the others I would definitely love to have them :)

Anya  – (February 21, 2009 at 5:02 PM)  

pahingi naman ako isang larawan para makasali ako sa LAPIS this week, hehe.

by the way, i love shawarma the most, i am a shawarma confessed addict. my breath smells of onion na nga eh, di na matanggal *lol*.

Zeee  – (February 21, 2009 at 7:54 PM)  

Wow! Grabe ha! You had me salivating as I scrolled down to the bottom of the page! Yummy talaga! From dessert to finger foods G! Ang sarap!!



Serving mine here

MUSHROOMSfromHOME  – (February 21, 2009 at 9:03 PM)  

wow, grabe ng post mo! bilib ako. very comprehensive. quark looks interesting. most interested in canneloni. wonder if these are available in the phil.my favorite is temaki. we put canned tuna for a quick sushi. love shawarma too. finally, thanks for distinguishing fajita and tacos from burritos.

ang haba ng comment ko, no? kudos!

Anonymous –   – (February 21, 2009 at 11:52 PM)  

I have my eye on your canneloni...
I might give it a try. You inspire me!

Anonymous –   – (February 22, 2009 at 2:05 AM)  

Like what the others said, united nations. :) Anyway, among all these, I think the best for me would be ground beef filled canneloni. It looks so filling.

Anonymous –   – (February 22, 2009 at 5:26 AM)  

wow ... that is one yummy collection! :D
don't mind that i am practically drooling all over the computer! LOL

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Mirage Blogs

Visitors