eFaucets-Brand-468x60

Layer (eat) up!

(For my foodie friend Joy)

I had always wanted to try this, (German-original) Schwarz-Wälder-Kirsch Torte or Black Forest Cherry Cake. I wanted to because all those ready made I buy costs 12Euros (15$) which I find sour compared to the variation I always enjoyed at Red Ribbon. Second reason; since the theme over at LaPiS is layered, I thought this is my best chance to challenge myself in baking. Of course, cherries are red, perfect for Ruby Tuesday!

I had planned to bake last Saturday, unfortunately in between the excitement I forgot to buy eggs! Since Sunday is closed all the stores day, I waited for today and here, baked my very first successful cake! I followed the recipe here.

INGREDIENTS

* 265 g all-purpose flour
* 400 g white sugar
* 65 g unsweetened cocoa powder
* 7 g baking powder
* 3 g baking soda
* 5 g salt
* 3 eggs
* 235 ml milk
* 120 ml vegetable oil
* 15 ml vanilla extract
* 2 (20 ounce) cans pitted sour cherries
* 200 g white sugar
* 30 g cornstarch
* 5 ml vanilla extract
* 710 ml heavy whipping cream
* 40 g confectioners' sugar



Procedure:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour two 9 inch, round, cake pans; cover bottoms with waxed paper. (I used an 11 inch pan so I didn't divide the cake later).

2. In a large bowl, combine flour, 2 cups sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add eggs, milk, oil, and 1 tablespoon vanilla; beat until well blended. Pour batter into prepared pans.

3. Bake for 35 minutes, or until wooden toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean. Cool layers in pans on wire racks 10 minutes. Loosen edges, and remove to racks to cool completely.

4. Drain cherries, reserving 1/2 cup juice. Combine reserved juice, cherries, 1 cup sugar and cornstarch in a 2 quart saucepan. Cook over low heat until thickened, stirring constantly. Stir in 1 teaspoon vanilla. Cool before using.

5. Combine whipping cream and confectioner's sugar in a chilled medium bowl. Beat with an electric mixer at high speed until stiff peaks form.

6. With long serrated knife, split each cake layer horizontally in half (if you used 9 inch pans). Tear one split layer into crumbs; set aside. Reserve 1 1/2 cups Frosting for decorating cake; set aside. Gently brush loose crumbs off top and side of each cake layer with pasty brush or hands. To assemble, place one cake layer on cake plate.

Spread with 1 cup frosting; top with 3/4 cup cherry topping. Top with second cake layer; repeat layers of frosting and cherry topping. Top with third cake layer. Frost side of cake. Pat reserved crumbs onto frosting on side of cake. Spoon reserved frosting into pastry bag fitted with star decorator tip. Pipe around top and bottom edges of cake. Spoon remaining cherry topping onto top of cake.

---
I deliberately topped half of the cake with cherries while the other has icing on it only because the bigger boy doesn't want lots of them. That's his slice on the first photo. Enjoy!


---

Join us:



Robin  – (February 9, 2009 at 1:31 PM)  

That looks delicious! Cherries and chocolate are a perfect pair.

It must be a cake sort of week this week, I've done one as well :).

Gita Asuncion  – (February 9, 2009 at 2:47 PM)  

congratulations! your black forest cake is a success!

maiylah  – (February 9, 2009 at 3:13 PM)  

wow ... you made one yourself! galing! am sure mas masarap yan!

EG CameraGirl  – (February 9, 2009 at 3:36 PM)  

I just ate dinner but I think I can squeeze a tiny piece of this in. ;-)

My Ruby Tuesday post is at
More of Me - EG

Felisol  – (February 9, 2009 at 3:49 PM)  

Yea, this must be a perfect Valentine's cake as well.
Looks so lovely!
From Felisol

Ralph  – (February 9, 2009 at 5:15 PM)  

Cherries and all red berries are a perfect complement to chocolate, especially the delicious cake you have prepared. You are right, homemade is better in most cases. I like to cook, but have not baked anything yet. So I'll have to buy a cake that only looks this good...

eastcoastlife  – (February 9, 2009 at 7:40 PM)  

I love Black Forest Cake! But I don't know how to make one. This recipe is appreciated.

Zeee  – (February 9, 2009 at 8:30 PM)  

You made that?! WOW! Kudos G! I love it! It looks that it was from the store! I bet it tastes sooooo good! Yummy! I'm drooling!

TheOzSys  – (February 10, 2009 at 5:29 AM)  

Awesome first try - and so delish-looking, too! Idol!!!

Would love to try this. Would you have a measurement converter stashed somewhere though? One that uses "cups", "tsps" instead of "grams" and "ml"... as this is admittedly the "waterloo" for me here, if ever... hahaha! :lol:

agent112778  – (February 10, 2009 at 7:17 AM)  

I admit im not a fan of balck forest but it is still made of cocoa and its a cake so, may i ask for my slice or two :D

my entry is here

magandang araw ka-lasa-ista :)
Salamat sa pagbisita :)

Dianne  – (February 10, 2009 at 7:32 AM)  

you should shoot gourmet magazine covers! these photos are great, love the first one best

Raven  – (February 10, 2009 at 8:26 AM)  

Very impressive. Bet it tasted as wonderful as it looks!

ces  – (February 10, 2009 at 10:39 AM)  

isa kang henyo G! hehe, i remember my mom and aunt making this when i was younger...i should really give it a go, together with sans rival! but for now...the kitchenaid that i'm drooling over..hehe.psst! i just might get myself one today
*wink, wink*

Pia K  – (February 10, 2009 at 12:43 PM)  

Well home made always tastes better (and you know what's in it...)! This looks divine, yum:)

Amber Star  – (February 10, 2009 at 2:40 PM)  

Oh yum! That looks delicious! I'm sure it would be on my diet, too. :)

Jescel  – (February 11, 2009 at 6:02 AM)  

wow.. you must have been baking a storm in the kitchen...but I love Schwarzbald-kirsche torte (spent a little time in germany and speak a bit of german too :o) .. you did a good job.. your photos made my mouth water :o)

Kilauea Poetry  – (February 11, 2009 at 4:07 PM)  

It looks decadent with the cherries! You were courteous enough to leave us with the recipe!

Munchkin Mommy  – (February 13, 2009 at 11:38 PM)  

black forest is one of my favorite cakes! yummy! another food item to add to my "to cook/bake list". haha! :D

Anonymous –   – (February 19, 2009 at 8:13 PM)  

Galing naman ni G! :)

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Mirage Blogs

Visitors