eFaucets-Brand-468x60

Lasang Pinoy - Drinks




For this week's theme, Drinks, I decided to post: Black Gulaman (sweet grass jelly drink).






I would normally use caramelized brown sugar, and canned grass jelly. It can also be mixed with soy milk to produce a milky white liquid with black strands in it.

Grass jelly is considered a tonic. Grass jelly is made by boiling the aged and slightly fermented stalks and leaves of Mesona chinensis (member of the mint family) with potassium carbonate for several hours with a little starch and then cooling the liquid to a jelly-like consistency. This jelly can be cut into cubes or other forms, and then mixed with syrup to produce a drink or dessert thought to have cooling properties, which makes it typically consumed during hot weather. The jelly itself has a slight bitter taste, a light iodine lavender flavor, and is a translucent black. (source)



For more Drinks please visit Lasang Pinoy.

ces  – (July 7, 2008 at 9:59 AM)  

i should grab a can or two next time i go to the asian store! sarap talaga ano!thanks for joining again!:)
spiCes

Oggi  – (July 7, 2008 at 7:00 PM)  

I have never had grass jelly before. I'll try to remember getting a can next time I go to the Asian grocery.

BTW, is this Lasang Pinoy week a spin-off of Lasang Pinoy? I'll check it out and will probably contribute.:)

nobu  – (July 7, 2008 at 9:03 PM)  

It looks good taste.
I'd like to add it to gin.

Chibog in Chief  – (July 8, 2008 at 7:20 AM)  

oh god i miss this :-( snif snif...looks mouth-watering !!! yummy

 gmirage  – (July 8, 2008 at 1:56 PM)  

Ces, ako din I need a fix!

Oggi, I will try the soya milk too, hopefully soon.

Nobu, Iam not familiar with that, how's it?

dhanggit, Asia shops must have this...try it there.

Nick Ballesteros  – (July 9, 2008 at 2:59 AM)  

Wow you can make black gulaman drink at home? I love ordering this at Chowking.

Lore  – (July 9, 2008 at 5:51 AM)  

I've never heard of grass jelly before but that drink sure looks GOOD!

 gmirage  – (July 11, 2008 at 12:46 PM)  

Watson, because I miss Chowking, I had to learn cooking kangkong with bagoong and make this drink! _=D

Lore, this is quite popular in asia,I'm sure you'd like it!

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Mirage Blogs

Visitors