eFaucets-Brand-468x60

Wiener Schnitzel - Food for Which My City is Known For (2)

Since I wasn't able to promote much the food listing, it will be extended until the 30th. Blog about one or more food, until June 30, be it meat, pastry, canned goods, everything goes. Please include photos and recipes if you can so we get to try each. Please leave your url as a comment so I could go about rounding up our list by July 10. Please pass this to your foodie friends too!

This time, my contribution would be the Wiener Schnitzel. This cuisine was said to be originlly from Milan, Italy but they use veal instead of pork slices, thus the difference. A little calorie overload, though, wouldn't hurt once in a while =D



Ingredients:

Pork Slices
salt and pepper
flour
egg (beaten)
bread crumbs
oil for deep frying






How to:

1. Pound meat slices with a tenderizer/mallet and season with salt and pepper.

2. Prepare oil for deep frying. Put flour, egg, and bread crumbs in different plates then coat the meat slices in that order.

3. Deep fry until golden brown.

Serve with potato salad, or french fries and a squeeze of lemon or how the kids like, with ketchup.



Unknown  – (June 19, 2008 at 5:20 PM)  

Wow, this is pretty interesting because we have been making schnitzel from pork slices in my Holland American family all my life. I have always under the impression that the real schnitzel was made from veal and that our family recipe was a strange variation. Now I come across your blog from and discover that our way of doing schnitzel is authentic. Here is my recipe: Pork Schnitzel with Brown Butter Noodles.

Have Fun!

Oggi  – (June 20, 2008 at 3:30 PM)  

My daughter had been asking me to make schnitzel. I never knew it's very simple to prepare. Thanks for the recipe, and I don't mind a little carbs once in a while.:D

I'll check out Bill's recipe with noodles.

 gmirage  – (June 20, 2008 at 11:25 PM)  

Bill, thanks for the recipe! Yes, Wiener Schnitzel is from pork, those from Venice are veal...well, we can use both! =D

 gmirage  – (June 20, 2008 at 11:26 PM)  

Oggi, just like how we make breaded chicken ba? It is also good served with other side dishes, the brown butter noodles does look yum, lets try!

maiylah  – (June 21, 2008 at 5:00 AM)  

would love to join .. but am really stumped what food to post! :(
would "kakanin" be ok? or something as simple as bananaque?

Jolene  – (June 22, 2008 at 7:40 PM)  

mmmm, I love Wiener Schnitzel! I had never had it until my husband and I started dating in High School His mom is from where you are and it was at their house I first had it. She has made it with both pork and veal, it just depends on whether or not veal is available.

I've thought about making it myself, but decided I better not, I make enough things that are too high in fat LOL, so I'll save this delicious dish for special occasions when my mother in law makes it.

Thess  – (July 22, 2008 at 1:01 PM)  

Hi G!
Oh dear, schnitzel is my hubby's favorite. Local supermarkets in our area sell them from plain to marinated ones. I kind of like the herb covered ones.

pretty dangerous (for my bilbil)to have few times a week ha ha!

Thess

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Mirage Blogs

Visitors