eFaucets-Brand-468x60

My first attempt at making Brazo de Mercedes - Failed?

brazo


Yes, the filling melted, I think because I was too excited I removed it too early from the pan lol.

Failed cooking doesn't really need to be published right? Well, I'm just keeping this so that someday I have to look back at how I failed at the very first time I made a Brazo de Mercedes. I followed the recipe religiously, I should have let the filling (flan) more in the stove though.

Anyway, this is the recipe which I will still follow next time.

Flan:
8 eggs yolks
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1/2 tsp. lemon extract
2 Tbs. unsalted butter
a handful finely chopped cashew nuts

1 tsp. lemon rind, finely grated



Meringue:
10 egg whites
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tsp. cream of tartar



1. Preheat oven to 180(degrees) C = 375(degrees) F. Combine egg yolks and milk on top of a double broiler, stir continuously until thick, put in lemon extract, cashew nuts, butter and lemon rinds. Set aside to cool.
2. Beat egg whites and cream of tartar to soft peaks. Gradually add sugar, beating continuously and add in the vanilla extract.
3. Line a baking sheet with non-sticking paper brushed with butter or with cooking spray so as they don't stick later on. Spread the meringue mixture into pan, bake for about 18-20 minutes. When the meringue puffs up and is golden brown, its ready, remove from the oven. It will shrink a little.


4. Carefully peel off the meringue from the paper...put another non-sticking paper on top and turn over. Spread the flan on the meringue, this will be the bottom side when you bake it. Roll up the meringue until the other end to close. As an option, sprinkle confectioner's sugar before serving.

--

I had really hoped my first attempt will work well, but no worries, I am a disciple of the cliche, 'if at first you don't succeed, try and try again.' =D

Lyn  – (August 20, 2011 at 6:42 PM)  

Oh no -- it just made your cake look sinfully delightful! My mouth just watered at the sight of it -- heavenly! ♥

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Mirage Blogs

Visitors