eFaucets-Brand-468x60

Tuna, is that really tuna?


Tuna and Butterfish sashimi


This is the color of tuna I'm used to eating, a hint of pink to red. I would have preferred it pink marbling with white (fat) though. I cannot be sure if this is yellowfin (ahi), big-eye or bluefin (surely not bluefin as this is hardy in the market here). All I know is that the texture  and taste is far different from what I had from one of the Japanese restos I had back home (below photo). Sure, the maki tasted good but the tuna sashimi was all wrong like this is the kind that I read about fishing companies trying to make imitation tuna. I cannot find the link for now but a lot of restaurant seem to prefer this cheaper version of the so-called tuna...





You've read and heard about sushi grade tuna and the different types which are best for sushi and all those topics. This plays a big role on tuna pricing. :) Of course, how good the tuna tastes depends on other factors too...not only on the species, but the season when the fish is caught even where it is caught.


As for the "grade" well, when tuna is caught, it gets pierced with a long probe and evaluated for color and fat content. The greasier the probe comes back, the higher the grade.Not very scientific huh? And this doesn't have anything to do with the freshness at all, only the taste. There is also another variable to consider, tuna cuts. The mid-section near the belly is the fattiest and most expensive, and the tail is the cheapest.


All that being said, I could say that what I often had at the nearest Japanese resto from home must be a higher grade tuna...both for the taste and the freshness that makes me disappointed about the other plate in the photo up here.



I anyway enjoyed the beef soup which I traded with hubby. :D I had beef at first with rice then he exchanged his soup with mine.


I forgot the name of the resto, but it's a Japanese fast food joint we hurriedly went into feeling the pangs of hunger malling all day...it's not Tokyo Tokyo nor Teriyaki boy, I really forgot...lol


---


Enjoy!


----



rubytuesday


--


Join us by clicking the badge!

Madz  – (January 10, 2011 at 1:53 AM)  

I have watched a documentary like this (I think on YouTube), where Japanese restaurants knowing or unknowingly use the wrong kind of fish for their sushi. The bad thing is that the customers pay the same amount regardless if they're eating the real deal or not.

Jenn  – (January 10, 2011 at 5:13 AM)  

Naku, these will be eye candies for kuya.. he loves eating sashimi! I am not into raw fish, so this will be one Japanese food I might not really enjoy. I guess I'd stick the my usual Japanese favorites - tempura and calimaki.

Thanks for joining Weekend Meme, G.

Yoshi  – (January 10, 2011 at 8:09 AM)  

Thanks for commenting on my entry.
Reading your entry makes me HUNGRY. Seriously. We tend to put pork in the soup and it is called Tonjiru (豚汁), which is one of my favorites, It tastes good especially during winter.

As for your question, I have posted article that described sort of general insights into Tengu/Sarutahiko in our blog, called Budget Trouble. If you are curious about Japan history (with a myth included), cultures and everyday life, please visit.

Thanks for sharing and have a wonderful Tuesday.
Yoshi

Liz  – (January 10, 2011 at 10:36 AM)  

Sarap! California Maki is my son's favorite.

Happy Ruby Tuesday.

My entries:
Moms... Check Nyo
Yummy-as-can-be

felisol  – (January 10, 2011 at 11:43 AM)  

Even though I come from a fish-twice-a-week country, I've never actually had sushi.
The tuna looks so inviting with its shades of red.
Maybe, some day, another year, another town. (Our town don't have sushi restaurants).

Pagan Sphinx  – (January 10, 2011 at 2:47 PM)  

Oh, my! It's almost dinner time here and your photos are making me so hungry! I LOVE sushi and sashimi. Salmon is one of my favorites. Nice Ruby post!

Ralph  – (January 10, 2011 at 3:39 PM)  

I think the French (probably every culture) have a saying about 'eating with our eyes'. Ruby catches our attention, and the fatty red tuna does tell us we are now hungry! I've not had sushi except where the fish was steamed, yet a quality cut of tuna is so attractive. Lovely looking and quite tasty, too!

Joanna  – (January 10, 2011 at 3:55 PM)  

That top photo is a stunner. I love the colors and the composition.

riz  – (January 10, 2011 at 8:21 PM)  

i had my 1st home made maki as entry for ftf last week, and i was hoping i could do the california rolls nxt time...i wonder how sashimis taste like?

Mona  – (January 11, 2011 at 2:17 AM)  

Wow, yummy entry for ruby tuesday, makes my mouth watering .. have time to visit my entry :)

luna miranda  – (January 11, 2011 at 3:20 AM)  

i always order salmon because i seldom get a good quality tuna sashimi. and in terms of taste, salmon is way, way better than tuna, anyway. the price difference is worth it.:p

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Mirage Blogs

Visitors