eFaucets-Brand-468x60

Red Velvet cake with cream cheese frosting

redvelvet cake
(Cafe World inspired dish # 3)

Patience is not one of my greatest virtue. That was why I was surprised that I found joy in baking this masterpiece.  Although I intended to make cupcakes at first since it's less the works and I have more chances of success, this project was all worth the effort. It was not only me who waited with anticipation, the kids were there watching the cake with wonder, "is that strawberry cake mommy?"  was  the question repeated for the whole hour.


Red Velvet cake is said to have originated south of the US. There are many speculations but  there's just nowhere to point, just like other legendary foods that made us wonder and crave...well, go ahead and just eat it, we can research later!


Originally, beets were used to color this reddish treat, but red food coloring has replaced it long ago. Other common ingredients are buttermilk, butter, flour, cocoa and is normally finished off with white icing, usually of cream cheese. I am not so sure about the sweetness of this particular recipe, I didn't put in buttermilk but it still turned out moist.


redvelvet lighter


Some recipes include coconut flakes for the icing, since my "customers" are kids, I opted for candy sprinkles. For now, I am posting the ingredients of the other Red Velvet cake I'm planning to bake...directions will be posted soon.


----



Red Velvet Cake:

2 1/2 cups sifted cake flour
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 1/2 cups granulated white sugar
2 large eggs
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 cup  buttermilk
2 tablespoons liquid red food coloring
1 teaspoon white distilled vinegar
1 teaspoon baking soda

Cream Cheese Frosting:

1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
1 - 8 ounce  cream cheese, room temperature
1 - 8 ounce  tub of Mascarpone cheese, room temperature
3/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 cup  confectioners' sugar, sifted

---


Happy RT! Join us by clicking the badge below.



maryt/theteach  – (March 15, 2010 at 10:13 AM)  

Beautiful RED cake for Ruby Tuesday! And thanks for the recipe I may try it for Easter! :)

Ralph  – (March 15, 2010 at 11:40 AM)  

The cake is a fine ruby, the red pastry looks delicious. The cream cheese frosting must be wonderful. I can gain weight by merely looking, but hey - cake this good is worth it!

Oggi  – (March 15, 2010 at 12:43 PM)  

That's a beauty!

Red velvet is one of our favorites, it's moist, light, and yummy....you can't eat just one slice.:D

Carletta  – (March 15, 2010 at 3:35 PM)  

I haven't had Red Velvet Cake in years.
The cake looks delicious!

Lynda  – (March 16, 2010 at 12:21 AM)  

yummy!!! gusto ko yan, penge!!! :P

Maria  – (March 16, 2010 at 1:13 AM)  

Thanks for the recipe. The cake looks delicious:)
Happy RT

Spadoman  – (March 16, 2010 at 4:03 AM)  

Very nice. I had my first real and genuine red velvet cake while visiting some folks in the tiny town of Clarks Hill, South Carolina. Life hasn't been the same since! Thanks for the recipe.

Peace.

Auntie E  – (March 16, 2010 at 5:39 AM)  

Love red velvet cake, will try this recipe, thanks, Have a great ruby day.
My Ruby Link for you

mizhelle  – (March 16, 2010 at 8:57 AM)  

thanks for the recipe :) that looks really yummy!

u may view mine here

Susan L  – (March 16, 2010 at 2:11 PM)  

I've never tried red velvet cake although I've seen photos all the time. thanks for the recipe .. i might try it. happy ruby tuesday

Matty  – (March 16, 2010 at 3:43 PM)  

That is one pretty and delicious red entry. Hats off to you for making it.

Auntie E  – (March 16, 2010 at 4:14 PM)  

You asked a question on my blog"Nihonjin desu ka?" No, I am not Japanese, but I do love the Sakura festival. I have a lot of Japanese items and books on the Sakura festivals held thoughtout Japan. Thank you for stopping by.

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Mirage Blogs

Visitors