eFaucets-Brand-468x60

Lasang Pinoy Sundays - Leftovers

Having lived with Hubby's lola, I learned that she is one thrifty and resourceful cook, she would scavenge for leftovers (cooked) from the kitchen and make them into an all new dish, tasty and very different from what it was. :D In a way, its nice, she doesn't waste food but on the other hand, like hubby puts it...too much.

---

Today's theme is leftovers, so I looked at what we have in the fridge and I concocted my own okonomiyaki (Japanese pancake). Literally it means: to cook what you like, in my case I cooked anything I have. :D

I found a small container of mixed seafoods: shrimp, baby octopus and squid, had them thawed and boiled a little. I chopped some green onions, I used the batter of a ready to cook pancake! Works fine too as the mixture of flour, egg, cabbage and water. Have them all mixed and pan-grilled.

I then topped my easy morning breakfast meal with tonkatsu sauce, mayonnaise, katsuoboshi (fish flakes)...the black flakes you see on top are nori bits because I do not have aonori (seaweed flakes) that time. This was really a fun concoction, though the Japanese would say 'boroboro' to refer to tattered or broken stuff, this is the food version of that! So, tabemashou!

---



Lasang Pinoy Sundays is a weekly GALLERY of the FILIPINO TASTE focusing on Food Photography. If you want to join this meme, please click the button.

iska  – (January 10, 2009 at 6:58 PM)  

One time I had leftover grilled mixed seafood. What I did - marinated them with lemon and diced onion then fry them on smoking hot oil until sizzling. Kakaiba din :-)

Lynn  – (January 11, 2009 at 4:21 AM)  

Wow, some breakfast you have. :)

TheOzSys  – (January 11, 2009 at 4:40 AM)  

Hi G! Thanks for letting me know what okonomiyaki is - will definitely give this a try one of these days to "jazz up" our leftovers.

Take care!

shutter happy jenn  – (January 11, 2009 at 6:46 AM)  

I am not into Japanese food, but I will give it a taste if given the chance.

My LaPiS post is here. Happy Sunday!

nobu  – (January 11, 2009 at 8:41 AM)  

Oishi so!!
Can you get Katsuobushi and Tonkatsu-sauce easyly there.

agent112778  – (January 11, 2009 at 9:24 AM)  

a meal on a snack :) good idea nga ito

Here is Mine

magandang araw ka-lasa-ista :)
Salamat sa pagbisita :)

 gmirage  – (January 11, 2009 at 9:33 AM)  

Hello fellow foodies! THanks for dropping by...

nobu- yes in asia shops and I also discovered a japanese shop recently complete with mochi and other sweets! :)

Thess  – (January 11, 2009 at 12:04 PM)  

Drat! Hindi kinagat unang comment ko *lol*

Sabi ko: Teka, saan ka ba nakatira? Sa Austria o Japan? :D

You're quite good with leftovers, just like your lola!

my entry is here if you pause from playing Wii *lololol*

maiylah  – (January 11, 2009 at 4:28 PM)  

creative. that's certainly different, and worth a try!

Unknown  – (January 11, 2009 at 5:58 PM)  

that is one interesting pancake! with cheese and bacon lang lagi pancake ko.:D

ScroochChronicles  – (January 11, 2009 at 7:03 PM)  

great way to use leftovers...my entry is HERE

Munchkin Mommy  – (January 12, 2009 at 7:19 AM)  

that looks interestingly yummy! i will have to add this to my "have to try one of these days" list. :) have a great week ahead!

ces  – (January 12, 2009 at 5:03 PM)  

o wow! savory pancake! galing G!:)

TeacherJulie  – (January 12, 2009 at 8:05 PM)  

Aba, that is an interesting twist to have as breakfast, kesehodang boroboro pa yan :D



Julie (sorry had to put my name since your comment box asks for a Google account which I don't have)

chinois97  – (January 13, 2009 at 1:26 AM)  

G, serious ka ba? Octopus with pancake! Hehehe... This is such a unique dish... I never knew you could mix so many ingredients in a pancake and still taste good. Hands down ako sa yo!

Jescel  – (January 13, 2009 at 8:41 AM)  

wow.. savory pancakes for breakfast! hmmmn.. interesting... but i love japanese foods, so this must be good!

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Mirage Blogs

Visitors