eFaucets-Brand-468x60

Sacher Torte - 'Food for Which My City is Known For'

No, as much as I would like to bake this famous cake, I can't. I only buy it from the grocery, especially this one which aside from being affordable has just the right size for us, a family of five.

Anyway, I found this recipe from the worldwide gourmet, I will try it as soon as I remember to buy a mixer (boing!).


Ingredients for 12 servings

130 g (1/2 cup) butter
110 g (4 oz.) icing sugar
6 egg yolks
130 g (4.5 oz.) chocolate
130 g (4.5 oz.) flour
6 eggwhites
100 g (1/2 cup) granulated sugar
Apricot jam

What's so good is that this cake is coated all over, yes ,even at the bottom!)

How to:

Beat together the butter and icing sugar; gradually add in the egg yolks and the melted chocolate, stirring constantly.

Beat the egg whites with the granulated sugar to stiff peaks and mix them into the chocolate batter.

Gently fold in the flour.

Place in a buttered tart mould and bake for 60 minutes at 180° C (350° F). Let cool, remove from the mould, slice through the centre and fill with a layer of good apricot jam.

Glaze with chocolate.

The creator of the Sacher Torte is said to have been a 16-year-old substitute chef, Franz Sacher. Click here and you'll see another recipe.

So now, I would like to invit everyone to join the 'Food for Which your City/Town is known For Listing.'

Blog about one or more food, from May 15-June 5, be it meat, pastry, canned goods, everything goes. Include photos and recipes when you can so we get to try each. Please leave your url as a comment so I could go about rounding up our list by June 10.

I would try baking this cake soon otherwise the best option for me is to have a taste (and photo) of the Original Sacher Torte from the Hotel of the same name served with coffee or tea.

chef  – (May 9, 2008 at 7:50 PM)  

Thanx, well I've never heard this recipes before. But I'll try..

Oggi  – (May 12, 2008 at 5:34 AM)  

I love Sacher Torte! We used to buy the ones from Holiday Inn at Roxas Blvd which is near my work. I have never seen it here in the US. I'm excited to make this cake very soon!

Thanks for the invite, I will research what food my city is known for, it is very new, maybe less than 25 years old, it used to be gubat kasi.:)

BTW, I love the new look and colors, very nice.

 gmirage  – (May 12, 2008 at 7:17 AM)  

Try it chef, I'm sure in any way you'd make this really good, as your nick suggests...

 gmirage  – (May 12, 2008 at 7:18 AM)  

Lol@oggi...25 years may not be so young hehe...

I lost all the widgets from the previous layout lol, I had to redo tuloy. Thanks!

Nick Ballesteros  – (May 13, 2008 at 2:51 AM)  

Food for which my city / town is known for... that will be a difficult one, because I will need a native from Baguio to teach me how to cook the chicken the way they do it. I'll come up with something more general. Thanks for the invitation!

Francine  – (May 13, 2008 at 10:03 AM)  

Hi, I just put my stumble list to date and stumbled you...It's my bd soon, I sure would like to eat an entire cake like this one ; )

Oggi  – (May 16, 2008 at 10:50 AM)  

my entry is here.
It's the best I can come up with, heheh.

Zeee  – (May 30, 2008 at 10:53 PM)  

wow! this really looks yummy! :)

Hetal  – (June 3, 2008 at 8:22 AM)  

Hey u have a lovely blog Giselle..

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Mirage Blogs

Visitors