eFaucets-Brand-468x60

Homemade Taho

taho


-Silken tofu with tapioca pearls and caramel-


"The best way to a man's heart is through his stomach" goes Fanny Ferns's quote. Jokingly, Robert Byrne believes  "Anybody who believes that the way to a man's heart is through his stomach flunked geography." :D The last quote always makes me laugh. Thinking of it it should have been biography instead of geography but the author was  obviously suggesting something else, which I wouldn't want to talk about.


I can attest to the truth of the first quote though. My hubby has a penchant for spicy dishes which I strongly oppose. If I'm the boss in here I would rather not cook anything spicy...So what I'd do is to cook  specially for him, meaning I cook first for the kids or set aside something for them before putting in the chillies. Sometimes I just serve pepper and chillies for the boss to garnish his dish with. He's always thankful. :)


silken tofu


-Unadulterated silken tofu-


I did mention sometime ago that hubby loves Taho (soybean curd) and that one time during our vacation I had to follow the Magtataho 2 blocks from our house just to buy him some (I was below the house and he was upstairs so I had to go lol). Gosh, that Manong walked so fast! I bought 40pesos worth of taho for him that morning and another 40pesos two days after.


Oggi of I can do that! mentioned in that post that she made taho at home which got me excited. I had long planned to make some but the I'll-do-that-tomorrow attitude finally brought me to today. :D I googled and the search page showed two of my favorite foodblogs...Kuya Vanjo's Panlasong Pinoy and Weng's Munchkin Mommy. I was surprised at how easy it seems, and it was! A few minutes later, I had my first homemade taho.


So all you need would be:



silken tofu
cooked tapioca pearls
caramel



I cooked the tapioca pearls per package direction, caramelized sugar and heated up the tofu a little in the microwave oven...I topped the tofu afterwards with the first two ingredients and that's it!

taho


After dinner, I served hubby a bowl of taho which he surprisingly refused...so I set it aside and observed. He was so not in the mood and I thought it must be work. Around midnight though he asked where is the taho I made...this time he's calmed down. So I served him the bowl again and he contentedly finished it...we didn't talk afterwards (I fell asleep I guess) In the morning, hearing him asking for taho as breakfast, I thought I did choose the right path...his stomach more than anything else that is ;)





---


Join us!




Photo Cache  – (December 16, 2010 at 11:26 AM)  

as i have said on fb i don't like taho because to me it resembles the brain (although i eat brains, so go figure)

anyway, the best use of silken tofu i know is when we made silken tofu cheesecake for our vegetarian friends who had other dietary restrictions. it was heavenly. i will have to check out the recipe so i can share it next time. i am sure there is a photo of it somewhere in my archives.

what are you cooking for christmas.

Joy  – (December 16, 2010 at 12:46 PM)  

I could go for that right now.

lani  – (December 16, 2010 at 12:59 PM)  

That's so cool! at least it's homemade, yummy!
I live in Taipei for more that 8 years, I frequently visit Hongkong, since It's only leass than 2 hours from here :) http://hongkongfrequentlyvisited.blogspot.com/
Happy Weekend!

maiylah  – (December 16, 2010 at 3:20 PM)  

that's quite a wonderful story, G! :)
dito naman sa bahay ako ang mahilig sa spicy dishes so cooking is no problem...i just add the chili on my plate after the food is cooked. lol

Jellybelly  – (December 16, 2010 at 7:34 PM)  

Love taho and it's healthy. I give it to my toddler minus the syrup and she loves it too.

Clarissa  – (December 16, 2010 at 9:21 PM)  

Talaga?!!It can be made at home now??!!Eh di hinde na pala kailangang umuwi pa ng pinas just to eat some taho ^_^I'm excited,I'll try it for myself!

Hubby is lucky to have a such understanding wife^_^

Happy Holidays to you and your family,Mommy G!

gmirage1 –   – (December 16, 2010 at 9:44 PM)  

Oh gosh, I meant Panlasang Pinoy hindi panlasong! :D

Lui  – (December 17, 2010 at 12:16 AM)  

wow that's something I wanna try =). Healthy and homemade.


here's my homemade pork longganiza for FTF =)

Madz  – (December 20, 2010 at 1:38 AM)  

Ang bilis naman maglakad ni manong, usually mabagal sila dapat kasi naghihintay kung may bibili eh. hehe.

Matagal na kong di kumakain ng taho, masyado kasing matamis. :D

Dhemz  – (December 21, 2010 at 2:59 PM)  

oh really? that's amazing...ang galing naman....:) thanks for dropping by at my FTF entry...great to be here....:)

Oggi  – (December 24, 2010 at 7:23 AM)  

Somehow I missed coming here last week. Christmas season kasi, busy busy. Thanks for the link.:)

Your silken tofu looks like the ones from the restos, na paka smooth. It's good he eventually liked it.

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Mirage Blogs

Visitors