eFaucets-Brand-468x60

Unagi no Kabayaki


(Unagi no Kabayaki - Barbecued Eel)


Two weeks ago I got lost in the city for 3 consecutive days...I don't clearly recall where I was headed the first time lol...The 3rd time was when I was going to the University (19th district) and while inside the University to inquire about translation studies.  The second time was when I was looking for a certain Japanese foodshop (1st district) to buy sizzling plates.


I have been in that shop only once, found it by accident then and I promised myself that I'd definitely be back...I did after 2 years and going about lost in the streets for an hour. Also, I wasn't able to buy the sizzling plates since they were out of stock...I came home with some of the usual Japanese loot I need like mayonnaise, beni-shouga, wakame, nori, miso paste and tonkatsu sauce. Some rarity that can't be bought in the Asian store near our place would be Kamaboko slices, Pocky chocosticks, frozen Unagi  no kabayaki and a cute hello kitty bentou box. The little girl was surely happy when I gave it to her along with a pair of hoshi.





Well, I immediately thawed the eel so we can have it for dinner. I only need to cook rice and make some kabayaki sauce. For the recipe I followed this one here . The sauce is just like that of teriyaki only with less sugar. Given the circumstances, I would love to grill glazed eel  too but as I've always complained, where we are is far from where the fishes are so I'd just be thankful to that Japanese shop. I would go back as often as I can even if I get lost in the way...


---


Join us!



cheerful  – (November 11, 2010 at 6:28 PM)  

looks yummy...love the photos too! happy food trip friday! :)

Luna Miranda  – (November 11, 2010 at 8:13 PM)  

the eel looks so good--mouth-watering.
it's good to get lost sometimes, especially when you find something great along the way.:p

maiylah  – (November 11, 2010 at 8:23 PM)  

cool set-up! love the composition on these, G! :)
i haven't tried eel...yet. i think i will, the next time we eat in one of those Japanese restaurants we frequent. ;)

ps. agree with LM about getting lost. though i wouldn't want to get lost when it's already dark (like what happened to us when we travelled from Tagaytay to Manila, lol).

vernz  – (November 11, 2010 at 9:20 PM)  

sorry dear.. but it looks like a snake... hehehe... must try.. extra challenge..lol.

MommyLES  – (November 12, 2010 at 3:20 AM)  

I wonder what's the taste of eel but it looks great cooked like barbeque


Lesley

lani  – (November 12, 2010 at 5:50 AM)  

Looks really yum! Happy weekend!

ANNEYP  – (November 12, 2010 at 7:03 AM)  

it looks attractive and yuumy, i don't know what's the taste of an eel but cooked with bbrq ingredients it looks great.

Noobfoodie

Oggi  – (November 12, 2010 at 10:35 AM)  

Nakakagutom. I love eel and also buy them ready to eat.

Madz  – (November 12, 2010 at 2:42 PM)  

I love Japanese food, not all though, and I haven't had the guts to eat unagi, is there any noticeable difference taste wise or texture wise from ordinary safe fish like milk fish or say tilapia? Thanks! :)

Clarissa  – (November 14, 2010 at 1:25 AM)  

Love unagi no kabayaki so much!You can also make a kabayaki don using sanma fish--minsan yan ang luto ko for lunch.

Kaya ka siguro nawala kasi nakalanghap ka ngmasarap^_^

Happy Sunday!

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Mirage Blogs

Visitors