eFaucets-Brand-468x60

Apples on oatmeal

IMG_9016


--


Growing up in a tropical country, I have known mangoes, pineapples, papayas amd soursops earlier than apples, strawberries and oranges. Imagine a row of trees heavy with fruits that some would fall off the ground....well, it's not so dreamy because it's a farm, but that' the kind of life I actually miss. Where I can own a garden and grow roses, tomatoes, forget me nots, basil, cucumber, and orchids. A view of pink, blue, red and vibrant green when I look at my kitchen window in the morning...perfect!


Coming back to reality now,I miss those fruits I enjoyed as a kid, where I am now they are considered exotic as were apples and peaches in my country. The other day, I tried to make this healthy breakfast, oatmeal with cinnamon apples...despite having allergies with the fruit that came about 2 years ago. My throat gets itchy when I eat them, same goes for my 2 older kids. We all have allergies with Steinobst, fruits that have big seeds in them, I think, like pear, peaches, apples, nectarines...and an odd case, kiwi. My daughter's lips turn red when she eats them...which looks good anyway. :D



IMG_9019



So here's a recipe I adapted somewhere, which would yield servings for 3.

Ingredients

* 1 cup water
* 1/4 cup apple juice
* 1 apple, cored and chopped
* 2/3 cup oats
* 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
* 1 cup milk

Directions

1. Combine the water, apple juice, and apples in a saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat, and stir in oats and cinnamon. Return to a boil, then reduce heat to low, and simmer until thick, about 3 minutes. Spoon into serving bowls, and pour milk over the servings.



P.S. I did eat a few bites of apples and a few minutes later not only my throat was itchy but my eyes too. It was so good that I forgot about the allergies for a while haha....but I will surely remove the apples next time.... *sigh*

--


Happy RT! Join us by clicking the badge below.




rubytuesday

Leora  – (March 23, 2010 at 8:58 AM)  

My friend has reactions like that to kiwi. She gets itchy throat, can't eat it.

I gag just looking at cow's milk; so I am trying not to look at your photo. Apples seem so innocent to me!

gmirage1 –   – (March 23, 2010 at 9:11 AM)  

hi leora, sorry about the milk...

Patti V.  – (March 23, 2010 at 2:00 PM)  

Sorry you and your kids have that allergy.

The oatmeal recipe sounds delicious. I love apples.

Happy Ruby Tuesday!

Ralph  – (March 23, 2010 at 3:25 PM)  

The ruby color of apples catches our eyes of itself. But these oats are perfect, and tasty - a breakfast we would be happy to get up early to enjoy!

stef  – (March 29, 2010 at 12:15 AM)  

Hi G! Kapag mas malaki na si Roey gawin ko ito hehe. Ipinaglihi ko sya sa fuji apples kaya I'm sure she'll love this. hehe

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Mirage Blogs

Visitors